[Qgis-community-team] Books section on our website

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Tue Oct 13 02:02:56 PDT 2015

On 13-10-15 10:42, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
> Hi website team,
>
> I have been in contact with the company PacktPub - a company
> specializing in IT and in particular OpenSource IT books. They publish
> several books on QGIS. The nice thing is that they return some of the
> revenues back to the Open Source projects. We just received a payment
> over € 140 from Anitas book. They will add the other books to our
> royalty scheme.
>
> We also just recently added an entry in their Open Source
> section: https://www.packtpub.com/books/info/packt/open-source-projects-starting-q
>
> I noticed that we don't have a book section yet on our website. Given
> that there are more and more books on QGIS, it would be nice to have
> such a section. It would be a win-win situation - for PacktPub and for
> us. And of course it wouldn't have to be limited to books from PacktPub
> but can reference any books.
>
> The PacktPub manager would offer us additional discount codes or group
> discounts for ebooks if one wants to buy all QGIS ebooks at once - if we
> integrate this in our web page. Please note - the more books there are
> sold - the more we also get back from the royalty scheme program.

+1 for a book section, what about creating a page like this:

http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/trainingmaterial/index.html

so we have a section per language and an icon of the cover and maybe
some words per book.

I would refrain from putting links to sellers, you can 'duckduckgo' :-)
shops easily if you want to know where to buy those books. In that way
we can more or less keep neutral about our buying prefs.

Regards,

Richard