[Qgis-community-team] Doc writing: simpler writing and styling

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Sun Jan 17 11:04:31 PST 2016

On 17-01-16 10:17, Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> thanks a lot for your help! Since feature freeze already started, you could
> start updating existing figures, if necessary, I guess. So you have about 6
> weeks from now...

Hi Otto, Alexandre,

I'm also eager to have a good updated 2.14 manual shortly after the 2.14
release.

I see there is already a wiki page:

http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/ManualTasks

We use that one as central communication point (and this list)?

So do we agree to:

- have the images let relative url's
- remove all the :guilabel: :menuselection: and other directives (but
keep the single quotes!)
- get rid of all/most of the image/icon substitutions (needed for inline
images) from source.conf and put them in the source file where they are used

Only discussion I would like to have:

- besides putting the images in the rst-directories, we also could put
them (in the same structure as they are now in a 'static' directory).
This means that all paths become like
../../../..static/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/ or so... Mmm,
writing this down, I think directories in individual src dir's is best :-)

- is is still usefull to have the 'Operating System' icons around (that
is the little Mac, Linux and Windows icons) for screenies OR when the
instructions differ...

- at this moment I'm not aware of any language really creating
translated images(! please correct me if I'm wrong). So I think I remove
this infrastructure as it can make building and scripts simpler

- we/I have still test what happens with the translations of sentences
which we remove directives and substitutions from (I hope the old
translations will be available in the glossary....)

If nobody objects, I'll start (in one commit) to do this page:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master_github_e/source/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/vector_properties.rst

So everybody can see what it looks like online in pdf and in Github

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps in parallel I hope te replace the templates for the new docs...