[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Case Study: The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) Project

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Dec 6 02:34:43 PST 2017

Hi Mark

It will be really great to include your case study on our web site. Perhaps you could have a look at https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/case_studies/index.html and get some inspiration in terms of providing a little more detail and some images etc.

Otto are you still able to help with walking Mark through the process of getting his case study included?

Regards

Tim

> On 05 Dec 2017, at 21:50, Mark Polczynski <mhp.techforge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings QGIS Community Team.  A  QGIS pop-up tip said to send QGIS case studies to this e-mail.  The following is my case study...
>
> The Historical Gazetteer of the Crimea (HGC) project (http://epublications.marquette.edu/ottoman_crimea/ <http://epublications.marquette.edu/ottoman_crimea/>) produced a gazetteer database that includes populated places, districts, and provinces of Crimea in existence at the end of the Crimean Khanate. The primary source of data was Henryk Jankowski’s Historical-Etymological Dictionary of Pre-Russian Habitation Names of the Crimea.  Of the 137 populated places shown on Jankowski’s map, 99 have been associated with existing places.  These are the populated place entries in the HGC.  The gazetteer also includes locations for six provinces and 43 districts.  The gazetteer was generated as a QGIS project with geolocation of places being done by associating Jankowski’s places with currently-existing places contained in the GeoNames database (http://www.geonames.org <http://www.geonames.org/>).
>
> --
>
> Mark Polczynski

—

Tim Sutton