[Qgis-community-team] Plugin author emails after the GDPR apocalypse

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Fri Jun 22 00:05:00 PDT 2018

Hi List,

I've just got a ticket [1] pointing out the PyQgis Developer Cookbook assures
plugin author emails are only visible for other authors [2], what actually
never was true. The plugin manager allows to email the author once plugin is
installed (the email is not in the repo xml, but still in metadata.txt file,
what was apparently overlooked in this old commit [3]).

We can't do anything for the released versions. For future versions I can hide
the email from the manager. It still will be present in the metadata.txt and
able to access manually, so we could remove the part "so only visible to other
plugin authors and plugin website administrators".

But honestly, for me it's one of key features if users can easily contact the
author, although we should stick to what the said (especially if it's stated
in other places too - is it?).

How are your thoughts? Should I immediately hide it from the 3.2 and 3.0.4?

Borys

[1] https://issues.qgis.org/issues/19239x
[2] https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/
plugins.html#plugin-metadata
[3] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/commit/
63c7caf9ad905b7945cf73e097ff4d112ee24470