[Qgis-community-team] Plugin author emails after the GDPR apocalypse

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Tue Jun 26 04:34:37 PDT 2018

Dnia piątek, 22 czerwca 2018 11:54 CEST Paolo Cavallini pisze:
> IMHO users should use only the bugtracker. If the author wants to be
> reachable he has other means. By default it would be good not to show
> his address

One of the key values of the open source world is the easy communication we
have within our community. For any purposes: asking questions, sharing
knowledge, making contacts or even hiring the author. As a plugin author I
really appreciate I'm not forced to fully disclose my email on websites (nor
set up any contact forms with captchas) just to be accessible by users. As a
plugin user, I appreciate the possibility of contacting authors easily, as
bugtrackers are not appropriate for e.g. common networking. Btw. bugtrackers
are also not so efficient, as most plugins use github with their unreliable
notifications...

So my personal opinion is: it's a feature, not bug :) IMHO the only problem is
some authors could disclose too valuable addresses and they should be warned
somehow, so they can release a new version with new metadata ASAP. But it's
impossible without spamming all the authors, so killing that feature of plugin
manager would be an ugly workaround.

Dnia piątek, 22 czerwca 2018 11:55 CEST Tim Sutton pisze:
> I am sure that there will be at least one person who complains. The other
> 99.9999% of us won’t care :-) My suggestion would be to cater for the
> majority, not the minority…..

And then Paolo wrotes...
> this makes sense - in fact, I remember very few complaining about this.

So can I assume the final conclusion is to rephrase the cookbook rather than
hide the address from the installer? If both chairmen don't find it so
critical and there are no other votes, I'd go this way, adding a strict
warning this time.

Best regards,
Borys