[Qgis-community-team] QGIS Documentation: increase the speed of documentation writing

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:22:38 PDT 2018

Hi,

Yves, I proposed nothing but I did not propose to do nothing. I was asking
questions to better understand where the issue resides (I have one or two
situations in mind that may be related to this discussion) but, anyway...
I'm not asking for statu quo. Whatever is found that improves the process
without deprecating the quality of docs, I'm in. And this last part is what
was questioning me. Fortunately, I get an answer (that I overlooked in
the docs to fix what (s)he can fix before the release. OK. This was not the
case for 2.18 and if I'm not wrong it was the plan for 2.14 (or 2.8?)  but
I'm not sure how far this was effective... So if that's the route, we
should make sure we really take it.

About releases plan, it's already the case. 2.18 docs has been released but
it did not prevent it to get new fixes/improvement. And then pushed again
to Transifex. Richard manages that pretty well as long as he's made aware
of the need (btw, I wonder if no new fixes have been merged since the last
push - same for qgis.org?). My fear was that "small mistakes" we let pass
to the docs because of "speed merging" are translated and then fixed and
retranslated. Yes it may be few strings here and there. But it involves x
language contributors instead of having involved one English contributor at
the beginning. And if it's not retranslated, you end up with mixed
languages paragraphs in the same section, which is ugly and deprecates
translated doc quality. But I understand that those errors won't reach
translators because a hired reviewer would fix them before the release. why
not...?

>From my side, I agree with less nitpicking, which I guess, does not mean to
not point the issues I see; the writer is free to follow or not, depending
on what is retained in this discussion and any committer can merge if the
PR satisfies the minimal requirement.
That said, whatever rule is set, it would make sense and be applied only if
there are people who write (and, for some reasons, are in a hurry for
merging) and IF there are people to review and comment (which unfortunately
is far from being the case - recent months show that a PR has to stay
around a week before any review when not merged without). Hoping that
changes...

Regards,
Harrissou