[Qgis-community-team] FOSS4G UK QGIS Documentation Workshop

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 01:05:49 PDT 2019

Hi Nick,

Thanks for this initiative. Good to know. We'll try to be responsive to the
PRs so that they really see how quickly and easily they can contribute to
the project. I guess you already know about the step-by-step guidelines [1]
(which shows that git is not a requirement for anyone willing to step in
documentation); there are also some video materials [2] Alexandre Neto has
recently pushed online that can be of interest for people.

About using Ubuntu, we have decided months ago that it's no longer a
requirement. If you browse the docs we already have a mixture of different
platforms. So good to do with what your attendees have. Guidelines were not
updated accordingly. Should be fixed after [3].
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/4229>

About the easy tags, that's too bad! I've closed a bunch of them few days
ago. I'd have known... Anyways, what would be the QGIS version of your
audience? Browsing the list of "easy"-tagged issues, many are of 3.10
milestone, meaning QGIS master. I'm not sure it's what people will be
using. So it could be nice if we can do some efforts to tag more "easy"
issues in older releases beforehand. "Processing Alg" tagged issues [3] are
not necessarily set as easy but they could be; most of the times, it's
about copy-pasting an older one and do the few tweaks relative to the alg.

Régis, I think Documentation (and translation, for non english communities)
are workshops we should try to always have in our meetings (foss4g FR but
also QGIS FR)

Have fun, and yes, tell us how you go.

[1]
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/first_contribution.html