[Qgis-community-team] Renaming Style Manager?

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Fri Jan 14 04:14:13 PST 2022

Hi,

This question was triggered by Tim at
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/issues/231

The terms "style" and "symbol" are used somewhat inconsistently in the
QGIS application and on the QGIS hub website. For example, in Settings |
Style Manager the users actually manage symbols. On the hub, the
"styles" page allows sharing symbol definitions (XML) but not styles (QML).

This later inconsistency is confusing, i.e. it confused me when I wanted
to share a QML file and realized that I cannot.

I think it would be worthwhile to strive for more consistency and to
rename the Style Manager because it really is a symbol manager. It's
Import/Export functionality deals with XML symbols and not QML styles.

What do you think?

Regards,

Anita