[Qgis-developer] Key accelerators vs. key shortcuts.

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sun Apr 9 11:39:56 EDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:53:49 +0100
"Tim Sutton" <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> On 4/9/06, Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at epf.pl> wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 22:13:31 +0100
> > "Tim Sutton" <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Lubos
> > >
> > > These are good observations. I would like the shortcuts to be
> > > predictable and think its a good idea to look at other
> > > applications / frameworks to see what standard shortcuts and
> > > accellerator keys are used.
> > >
> > > Most of your suggestions I agree with, only zoom in zoom out I
> > > dont. I would like to reassign zoom in to '+' and zoom out to '-'.
> >
> > This won't be handy IMHO. Zoom in/out and Pan shortcuts are really
> > usefull only during digitizing. So putting them as far right as '+'
> > and '-' don't make much sense. Their location should be somewhere
> > at the very down left of the keyboard - say 'z', 'x'. A shorcut for
> > Pan could be put there too, eg. 'a'. So the right hand would now be
> > free to ride the mouse at a decent pace. But what would the left
> > wingers feel about it?
> >

> Space is already set to do 'mouse locking pan',

I like it and use it a lot while there is nothing else. But still
believe that a regular non-locking Pan key would be better. Especially
for hardcore digitizing. Please read below my ideology.

> to pan one screenwidth in a direction. Arrow keys and + and - are all
> right together if you use numeric keypad so it seems no hand movement
> is required to access these commonly used keys...

Not on laptops. And please note that right hand should be free for a
mouse. Left does the keyboard.

Shortcuts on +,-,arrows will not be of much use. Maybe only on
mouseless boxes :).

And also for a mouse scroll zoomin - this is nice, but mouse wheel is
often not accurate enough for controlled zooming. And disturbs the
right hand moving the mouse and clicking. At leat this is my feeling.

The big idea is: Right hand for giving coordinates via mouse and
drawing, the Left hand for panning and zooming within the current view
frame, according to current mouse pointer position. That's most
efficient, propably. I've seen a similar scheme in a cool digitizing
software,
http://www.easytrace.com/work/english/easytracepro/new_in_ET.html, and
it worked very well.

Zoom,Pan keys could  be maybe placed somewhere in the bottom centre of
keyboard to satisfy both the left and right fraction, still preserving
ergonomy.

Just my ideas, for whatever they are worth.

Maciek