[Qgis-developer] Custom symbols

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Aug 5 19:09:55 EDT 2006

Hi

QGIS supports two type of symbols:

1) Hard coded symbols (the 5 point symbols) which can have graduated
colour sybology applied
2) SVG symbols which cant have ramped colours

Users can add svgs easily by simply dropping them in the appropriate
folder.
Point symbols need to be added programmaticall

In the future it is my plan to define colour presets for svg symbols
that will have ramping applied. So for example we would say that
black would be replaced by the ramped colour.

There are lots of free svg symbols available a google search away....

Regards

Tim

On 05/08/2006, at 14:58, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Today, one of QGIS user in Poland asked me a question about custom
> symbols in QGIS.
> Here I'm forwarding his questions:
> 1. There are 5 poing symbols available in QGIS. Is it possible to add
> new symbols, for example SVG files?
> 2. If it is possible, how to add new symbols to the QGIS?
> 3. Are there any additional point symbols available to download from a
> website?
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback on this subject.
>
> Best regards
> --
> Mateusz Loskot
> http://mateusz.loskot.net