[Qgis-developer] QGIS License (was Qt 4.X)

Gary Sherman sherman at mrcc.com
Sun Aug 6 12:12:38 EDT 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 12:25 AM, Radim Blazek wrote:

>  My theory is that OS (GPL) only works
> for SW for which ratio users/complexity is above some limit.
> And that is not true for many special GIS applications/extensions.
>
> Radim

Well said. I think your theory has merit. I for one would like to see
QGIS licensed such that proprietary extensions could be developed. My
theory is that some (perhaps many) of these would ultimately find
their way into the open source code base, thus enhancing QGIS for
everyone. I suspect there are many organizations out there that would
be more willing to choose an OS GIS if they were able to add their
customizations and intellectual property without exposing it to their
competitors. QGIS would benefit by more users, expanded community,
and likely financial input that would benefit the OS side.

Alas now you know that I am not an OS / Free Software zealot -- just
a person interested in advancing the state of the art of OS GIS.

-gary
Gary Sherman
Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
   *Geospatial Hosting