[Qgis-developer] Questions and suggestion on build setup

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Dec 4 10:21:42 EST 2006

I was messing around with an Xcode project for Qgis and noticed a
couple oddities in the build (this is with preview 2 source):

- projection selector is built as a library, and is not in the
plugins or providers source folder, so it seems to be a core library
for Qgis, yet it is installed in the plugins folder.  Shouldn't a
library be kept with the rest of the libraries?  The grass provider
library does.

- the scalebar plugin is the only one that has 'lib' prefixed to its
name, and has mixed case:

libScaleBarplugin

Also, a suggestion for the Mac app packaging - organize it more Mac-
like in the package.  Something like:

Contents
     Frameworks
         qgis libs
         Qt frameworks
         other bundled shared libs
     Headers
     MacOS
         qgis
         qgis_config
         qgis_help.app
     PlugIns
         qgis plugins
         qt plugins
     Resources
         all share/qgis stuff

The plugins is an odd one, because 'plugins' is the name of the Qt
plugins folder, and 'PlugIns' is the standard OSX plugins folder
name.  Qt plugins I think needs to be in the samme place relative to
the qt frameworks, but I don't know for sure, and there is probably
some way to set that at runtime.  On a normal OSX file system, the
case difference in the name shouldn't be a problem, but it would be
on a case-sensitive HFS+ or UFS disk.

The only changes needed are the resources and plugins path functions,
and in the help app for locating the help data.

PS. Xcode project is almost done, I'll turn it loose later in the week.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in
a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy