[Qgis-developer] Fwd: Qt 4.2 and Qtopia Core 4.2 Technology Preview Now Available

Brendan Morley morb at beagle.com.au
Thu Jul 27 22:28:45 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I just wanted to say that I've had a bit of a browse at the Qt4.2 docs,
and yes I too am salivating at the thought of getting Graphics View
integrated into the QGIS map view.

I personally think it would be good for:

1. Tool tips of features
2. Dragging around features
3. Rotating the map
4. Doing a pseudo "3D view", a bit like how some car satnavs do it (as
you can do an affine transform on the Graphics View).

Also we could convert our selection routine over to the Graphics View
routines.  If TrollTech have done their homework then it means less
headaches for us (and more time available to implement GISsy things).

One thing I would caution against is dumping all the contents of a
freshly-opened layer onto the QGraphicsScene at once, as I (for example)
have some layers with millions of objects on it.  A little bit of
thought may have to go on here to add more items on as you pan, and
maybe remove them when they go out of view.

Also, we will have to see if the speed tradeoff is worth it (-:

In other news, I think the new Undo framework will also be a great
benefit.  I'd been eyeing off the Qt Solutions undo framework for a
while (and wondering if it was worth replicating it), and so I am glad
that they've brought it from behind the shroud.

Finally I downloaded the Qt4 rsync and it's currently failing to compile
(red lava lamp goes on!), so maybe we're still dealing with vapourware.
(-:

Brendan