[Qgis-developer] Status of python bindings

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 04:04:25 EDT 2006

On 6/16/06, Matthew Perry <perrygeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard a few things about Python bindings to the QGIS API. Can
> anyone comment on the status or timeline of this project?

Hi Matthew,

python bindings are currently developed in Lib_Refactoring-Branch in
SVN, they will be probably included in QGIS 0.9 release. So far their
usage is experimental and only some classes are wrapped already -
although it's possible e.g. to load some layers and render them.

Some information can be found on this wiki page:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/PythonBindings

Currently wrapped classes are listed on page
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Splitting_Into_Libraries - those classes
with a checkmark. This page includes also other information about
progress happening in that branch.

So far no classes from GUI library have been wrapped. There's a small
problem that qt3 support classes are not included in PyQt4 and since
map canvas is derived from Q3CanvasView, it's not possible to wrap it.
We will need to wait until Qt4.2 comes out (probably Q3.2006) which
will bring QGraphicsView which will be native Qt4 replacement of
QCanvas.

Bye,
Martin