[Qgis-developer] Better getNextFeature in vector providers

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 05:24:50 EST 2006

On 3/20/06, Mateusz Łoskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> > However after some thinking and looking in QVariant sources, I don't
> > think that we really need something like boost::any and that QVariant
> > will suffice - I didn't find any inefficiencies in the
> > implementation. The second reason is that we should prefer Qt classes
> > to make the code as consistent as possible.
>

> OK, in this case it's more a matter of taste.
> Simply, I'd choose Boost as I'm STL/C++ purist.
>
> But I don't agree that Boost would make code inconsistent.
> If you think so, why don't you replace all STL's containers
> with QVector and QList?

OK, I agree that it wasn't a good argument :-)
I just meant that we don't need to use it since we have the same
functionality already in Qt.

> STL is a part of C++ library, Boost is a kind of incubator for future
> STL features. Boost is high quality professional library and I can't
> understand why people are affraid of it so much.
> Because of "dependency"?
> IMHO There is no sense to abandon highly usable library because it could
> introduce new dependency :-)

Surely it's a very handy library and it would be great to have those
features directly in C++. Being a standalone library is probably the
factor that people don't use it much as they don't want it as an
additional dependency... It's really all about matter of taste :-)

Martin