[Qgis-developer] General questions & multiple map canvases

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue May 9 04:27:05 EDT 2006

Hi Martin,

what about stable release? Don you want to skip 0.8?
Could we leave this until 0.8 release? I know that debugging
is boring but there is no other way.

On 5/8/06, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Two possibilities how to deal with using the same layer in more canvases:
> - enable sharing of layers between layer sets with reference counting
> - disable sharing of layers, allow cloning of layers

I think that layers (as data sources) should be shared over application.

> Currently I'm in favour of cloning instead of sharing them, because
> IMO it's more straightforward to use, moreover the shared layers would
> need to have same properties in the map canvases (renderer, symbology,
> transparency...)

We should separate layer-data and its symbology maybe?
But what about selection set and query?

Well I don't have capacity to think about this very complex problem
as there are milions of things to do for 0.8, so if you want my
reasonable oppinion wait until 0.8 is out.

Radim