[Qgis-developer] Add new GRASS modules in QGIS

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Tue Dec 11 08:50:38 EST 2007

Hi,

as you can read in the mail object, i need to add new GRASS modules in qgis. Actually I have other questions related, so I will divide this mail in 2 different parts:

1. I'm recently using QGIS 0.9 under windows xp; I need to use a module, called r.horizon, developed by JRC (http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/jrc/index.cfm) researchers. I have source files (C) and i would compile them to create a GRASS command to run under QGIS. Reading the following article http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Adding_New_Tools_to_the_GRASS_Toolbox, I found how to create a new QGIS GRASS module usging existing GRASS commands compiled for win32 platform, but I'm not able to build my r.horizon.exe starting from source code. I tried using Visual Studio C++ 2008 (Express), but it seems I have problems linking libraries, locating headers, and so on.... So my question is: "can I build a win32 GRASS command on windows using only the resources I find in Quantum GIS\grass folder?"

>From this location https://grasssvn.itc.it/grasssvn/grassaddons/trunk/grassaddons/r.sun_horizon/r.horizon/#_trunk_grassaddons_r.sun_horizon_r.horizon_ <https://grasssvn.itc.it/grasssvn/grassaddons/trunk/grassaddons/r.sun_horizon/r.horizon/#_trunk_grassaddons_r.sun_horizon_r.horizon_>  I downloaded source code files: main.c, local_proto.h and Makefile.make; main.c includes the followings:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <malloc.h>
#include <grass/gis.h>
#include <grass/gprojects.h>
#include <grass/glocale.h>

local_proto.h has no includes, while Makefile is:

MODULE_TOPDIR = ../..
PGM = r.horizon
LIBES =  $(GPROJLIB) $(GISLIB)
DEPENDENCIES = $(GPROJDEP) $(GISDEP)
EXTRA_INC = $(PROJINC)
include $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/include/Make/Module.make
default: cmd

2. I noticed that in QGIS some GRASS commands are missing, like NVIZ and d.3d module; actually I'm very interested in creating 3D imaging starting from DEM rasters (imported in GRASS from ArcInfo ASCII files)... can I do that using QGIS? or should I use GRASS directly via cygwin?

Thank you for all your help,

Marco