[Qgis-developer] extensions to postgis dialog

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 10:00:18 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 2:02 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> > This is a good idea. QSortFilterProxModel will certainly help me with
> > filtering.
> > Reading through the Qt documentation, the model/view concept seems to be a
> > very flexible way of accessing and displaying data. In a way, the qgis vector
> > data provider is also a model.
>
> Yes - one of the things I wanted to raise for post 1.0 is implementing
> providers as models...the only thing Im not sure of (maybe Martin has
> some ideas here) is how it would work with a canvas 'view' which has
> multiple models (layers) associated. Certailnly it would work well
> with attribute table views. Anyway I'm trying not to get distracted by
> post 1.0 ideas now :-)

Hi,

I still don't get idea why providers should be implemented as models.
In my view the concept of models is different from the concept of
providers. And I don't know what would be the benefit of bending
provider interface to be a model. Our canvas view uses only rendered
image from map renderer so changing the canvas to be actually a view
of provider model would be quite a lot of work, moreover we would need
to work out what to do with map canvas items and tools etc.

But I completely agree to implement attribute table on the model/view
architecture.

Martin