[Qgis-developer] Python build problem on OSX

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 05:13:35 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 6:48 AM, Tom Elwertowski <telwertowski at comcast.net> wrote:
> William Kyngesburye wrote:
> > I found a build problem (unnoticed back in 0.9.0) with the Python
> > support on OSX - it will NOT build universal, or with an SDK (which
> > means I can't build *on* Leopard *for* Tiger, due to some library
> > version incompatibilities).
>
> [...]
>
> The problem is that the QGIS Python modules are completely managed by a
> Python script. If the generated files were directly compiled by CMake,
> the problem would disappear. This would also solve the problem of all
> C++ files being regenerated and recompiled whenever any file, not just
> those which have a modified Python binding, is modified. It would make
> more sense to me if each sipxxx.cpp depended upon xxx.sip and Python was
> invoked only to generate the .cpp file leaving CMake to take care of
> compiling and linking C++ files.

I know that the way how the compilation of PyQGIS works now isn't
optimal at all, however I wasn't able to figure out any better
solution. Python modules sipconfig and pyqtconfig do all the hard work
detecting correct parameters for compilation for all supported
platforms/compilers.

Looking at sipconfig I see it supports universal builds - try this:
in configure.py.in add argument universal='/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk'
to sipconfig.ModuleMakefile() constructor - when creating variables
makefile_core and makefile_gui
It should do exactly the same as Tom has written manually to makefiles...

Martin