[Qgis-developer] SVG export

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 13 02:07:56 EDT 2007

Hi Paolo and Steven,

> > I think I'm close to getting the print composer ported to GraphicsView
> > - I just need to do a little cleanup work and fix a couple minor bugs.

Great! Is it possible for you to provide a patch before feature freeze for 0.9
(Monday 16 July)?

> > Along the way, I discovered that Trolltech has completely dropped
> > support for SVG export in Qt 4.  Qt 3's support for SVG was not very
> > good, and QGIS has warning saying so.   Is it worth continuing to
> > support SVG export using Q3Picture, or should we just drop it entirely?
> > Steven

Qt-4.3.0 provides support for SVG export with QSvgGenerator. It's a subclass
of QPaintDevice, so straightforward to use. And according to trolltech, this
export should be much better now (but I did not test it).

I'm in favour of keeping the current SVG export with Q3Picture and warning (if
this is still possible with the ported print composer). People may already
use that feature and, regarding the developments in Qt4.3, I don't think we
need to drop that feature in the long run. When qgis moves to qt4.3 as
minimum version, we may switch to QSvgGenerator and remove the warning.

cheers,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler