[Qgis-developer] QGIS mapserver project

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Mon May 14 03:01:22 EDT 2007

Hi Matthew

> Would it be feasible to extend the QGIS wms server to read directly
> from .qgs files? I think one of the main benefits of having a
> QGIS-based WMS server would be to combine the configuration of desktop
> and web maps into a single format. Wouldn't it nice to stylize your
> map in qgis then immediately make that .qgs project file immediately
> available on the web?
>
> Using the current method, I'd have to reconfigure the same map twice.
> Given that QGIS can export a mapserver mapfile, it really reduces the
> incentive :-(

There is a plugin I started to develop some time ago, called 'publish to web
plugin'. This plugin creates the server configuration from loaded layers in
QGIS (not only the configuration file itself). It is still very unstable and
unmature at the moment. But perhaps I should put it on the qgis mapserver
page as it is and improve it step by step.

> SLD support is nice though. perhaps that should be considered for
> inclusion in the qgis core?
>
> > And now the most important thing: QGIS mapserver is opensource (GPL) ->
> > everybody is kindly invited to contribute with code, documentation,
> > testing, bug reports, constructive critisism, etc. Contact me if you are
> > interesting in joining development of QGIS mapserver, there is still a
> > lot to do...
>
> Great! I look forward to trying it out.

Cool! Tell me how it goes.

Regards,