[Qgis-developer] Compiling GRASS with MSVC

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Nov 5 07:55:44 EST 2007

Hi

I suspect we could actually get away with just compiling the few libs
that qgis actually links to and then having the rest as mingw compiled
apps since most of the GRASS stuff happens in QProcess calls...I'll
look further into it.

The issue you describe with makefiles is one of the benifits we got in
qgis switching from automake to CMake - since cmake will generate
makefiles to suit the compiler its very much easier to jump between
different operating systems and compilers without having to make much
in the way of changes to the build system.

Ok we will keep poking around, and let you know if we come up with anything....

Regards

Tim

2007/11/5, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:

> Tim Sutton wrote:
>
> > Markus Neteler suggested I contact you. We are interested to make a
> > WIN32 build of QGIS with MSVC. Do you know of any work being done to
> > compile GRASS with MSVC?
>
> No.
>
> Are you just interested in using the compiler/linker, or also the
> DevStudio IDE?
>
> GRASS' build system uses GNU Makefiles (currently, 541 of them). I'm
> fairly sure that most developers would unwilling to maintain MS
> "nmake" files or DevStudio DSP/DSW files.
>
> If you just want to stick with GNU make and use the MSVC compiler and
> linker, you can try creating Grass.make and Platform.make by hand (I
> don't think that the configure script will handle "CC=msvc"). I
> suspect that you may need to manually edit some of the other *.make
> files, and probably some of the individual Makefiles.

Tim Sutton
openModeller Desktop Developer
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com