[Qgis-developer] [patch] MSVC patch (less warnings and GRASS)

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Nov 5 19:14:52 EST 2007

Hi Tim,

On Sun, 04. Nov 2007 at 23:23:37 -0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Wow great stuff! - I went through all the files you touched and this
> is nice and neat! I've test built here on Gutsy and applied the patch
> (r7322). Ill test tomorrow on MSVC at work. I'm glad we can get rid of
> all those ugly extern "c" all over the show.

Thanks.  My test build on unstable did also work.

> Regarding GRASS - as I understood, you cant mix dlls created under
> different compilers. In most cases GRASS stuff is called as a QProcess
> and I was thinking that in this case the rule above would not apply
> since the grass process runs separate (unlinked) to the QGIS process.
> In a few cases however we link to some GRASS libs - and I guess this
> is where things are crashing for you?

Yes, that's because I used dlltool, where I should have used dumpbin/lib
to create the libraries for msvc - just like I did with the postgres
library a while ago.  dumpbin and lib come with msvc.

> Do you have python stuff working under MSVC then? With all these
> updates it seems we are not far off from making a MSVC windows binary
> with complete feature parity to MINGW version. I have been working on
> an INSTALL.t2t section for MSVC that documents the procedure for
> building QGIS under MSVC. I hope to commit it this week and it would
> be great to get you and David Willis to give feedback and possibly
> resolve these final issues to getting a full QGIS MSVC build in place.

I think with r7330 I now have both python and grass running with the
msvc build.   But I probably need to redo everything and take notes to
update INSTALL.t2t.

> Lastly, the PSC has unanimously voted to grant you write access to SVN
> so in future you will be most welcome to commit this type of
> improvement directly to trunk. If you have any doubts about whether
> its OK to commit something please feel free to ask here on the list.

Thanks.  I already committed twice today. :)

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-0

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden