[Qgis-developer] 'Publish to web' plugin for QGIS mapserver

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 9 08:40:36 EST 2007

Hi Tim,

On Friday 09 November 2007 12:50:36 you wrote:
> Hi Marco
>
> Ii will probably do the packaging for you (.deb and windows, maybe mac
> too) - I just need a little spare time.
>
> I will also convert to using cmake. I have find rules for qgis libs
> already from my openModeller work.

That would be cool! At the moment, I'm still building with qmake, but cmake is
certainly much better to automate the build process.

> I downloaded the source but havent had chance to build and test yet.

Let me know what works and what does not work.

> Do you have the code in a SVN repo somewhere? What do you think of
> putting it in a separate dir on qgis svn?

At the moment, the code for the server is in:
svn://karlinapp.ethz.ch/home/marco/svn_repositories/orchestra/sources/qgis_map_server
and for the publish plugin in:
svn://karlinapp.ethz.ch/home/marco/svn_repositories/orchestra/sources/publish_to_web
I can give you write access to those.

> Does the source on the site include the plugin or just the server? I
> had a look through the sources and didnt see anything that looked like
> a plugin.

The source for the plugin is in a separate tarball, also available on the
download site (http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/publish_to_web.tgz)

> I see that the server needs to go in its own dir with its own copy of
> qgis libs and plugins and srs.db. What do you think of just installing
> into the same location as QGIS and avoiding needing to make these
> duplicate lib copies? If you prefer not to do that I can automate the
> copy over process with cmake probably.

That's true, using the same srs.db and provider libs makes sense.

For the server executable itself (qgis_map_serv.fcgi), afaik it needs to be
somewhere under /usr/lib for the webserver to find it. At the moment, it is
under /usr/lib/fcgi-bin/qgis_map_server. The publish to web plugin creates a
new subdirectory for each new web project and places the two configuration
files (admin.sld and wms_metadata.xml) there, as well as a copy of
qgis_map_serv.fcgi. This is to differentiate projects by url and not by
mapfile parameter. It however uses much disk space (360kb for a copy of
qgis_map_serv.fcgi). Probably there is a solution without copying the server
executable for each project?

Regards,
Marco

--