[Qgis-developer] code maintainer for postgres provider

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 19 09:53:04 EST 2007

Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi QGIS devs,
>
> Juergen Fischer is the new code maintainer for the postgres provider
> (http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Project_Organigram#preview). This position was
> vacant until now and I'm happy that Juergen accepted upon my request.

Marco / Juergen,

Excellent news, and well timed!  I just filed two new tickets last night

https://svn.qgis.org/trac/ticket/817

   Support non TCP/IP connections.  Pretty easy to fix (just omit host= and
   port= from connection string when user doesn't provide host) but it touches
   a number of places in the code.  A partial patch (that does work for me) is
   included but some additional work would likely be needed.

https://svn.qgis.org/trac/ticket/818

   Support PostGIS layers of type "GEOMETRY" (which is to say a mix of
   geometries are permitted).  Gary mentioned to me that QGIS feature layers
   are either point, line or polygon (or annotation?) so a mixture of geometries
   is an issue.  I suggested that in the case of ambiguity it might makes sense
   to scan the datasource for geometry types, show the user and ask them which
   they want to render.  Then just ignore incompatible feature types.  But this
   is a substantial change, and goes beyond the postgis code.  Perhaps it could
   be considered for 1.0?

I noticed there was not postgis support specific component in Trac.  Would
this be an appropriate addition?

Best regards,