[Qgis-developer] R.e. SVG output - new libraries

icosa atropa icos.atropa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 23:08:33 EST 2007

My thoughts about library dependencies from a user/admin point of view:

Backports provide a great interface for debian and ubuntu to add new
libraries to old (stable) versions - I'm not sure if FC et al. provide
a similar interface.  As you mentioned, windows and mac are already
provided for.  So the majority of cases appear to be covered, with the
possible exception of "stable/non-testing" non-debian linux.

The only caveat is that any backporting requirements should be clearly
labeled from the human installer's point of view, since apt-get has a
hard time auto-handling them.

best,
christian

> > For windows and mac users the issue is probably inconsequential since
> > we bundle qt libs in whith the downloads we provide....so its just a
> > matter of getting linux users on board to the idea I guess.

> As to Ubuntu - the latest 7.10 release provides QT 4.3.2.
> Previous one, 7.04, has QT 4.3.0 in official backports repo.
>
> Other "main" distros like Fedora, Centos, Mandriva provide
> QT 4.3 for their latest releases too (checked at rpm.pbone.net).
>
> IMO the requirement for QT 4.3 is worth the fixed SVG output.
>
> Maciek

> End of Qgis-developer Digest, Vol 21, Issue 36

Far better an approximate answer to the right question, which is often
vague, than the exact answer to the wrong question, which can always
be made precise -- j.w. tukey