[Qgis-developer] installing QGIS and PyQGIS (on windows)

Gary Sherman sherman at mrcc.com
Sun Oct 14 23:36:28 EDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Martin Dobias wrote:

>> There is also work under way on the PyQGIS repository for plugins and
>> an automatic installer
>> (discover, download, and install). This is all being done if Python.
>
> Can you tell me a bit more about it?

A test version of the repository is here:
http://spatialserver.net:3001/

A script that generates xml from the contents of the plugin database
is here:
http://spatialserver.net/cgi-bin/pyqgis_plugin.rb

Matthew Perry has written a command line Python script to list the
plugins
in the repository and also install them by name into a qgis install.
At present
the script requires hard-coding of the location of the qgis install.
The installer plugin
will get the location of the app and use it to install.

The only issue is with permissions. Users won't be able to install
plugins if there
is a system-wide qgis install in say /usr or /usr/local. One thing we
might want to
consider is having a user plugin directory that allows users to
install plugins outside
the qgis install. This would require a slight change to the plugin
manager to make it
search the main plugin dir as well as the user directory.

-gary

Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee
Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com