[Qgis-developer] notes and question on unix section of BuildingFromSource instructions

icosa atropa icos.atropa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 04:28:59 EDT 2007

I'm trying to build 0.9 on ubuntu from source, following
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingFromSource, in hopes of doing my
part in making 0.9 the best qgis ever :)

There appears to be a minor typo in section 5.9.  It looks like this

  cd qgis
  mkdir build
  ccmake ..

should instead be this:

  cd qgis
  mkdir build
  cd build
  ccmake ..

Adding "cmake" to the "sudo apt-get install" list of dependencies in
section 5.4 would make sense, too.

Finally, I have a question.  i'm using feisty, and during dependecy
install I had to make a package substitution with libgdal1.  Apt-get
tells me:

  Package libgdal1-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
  is only available from another source
  However the following packages replace it:
    libgdal1-1.3.2-dev

and again

  E: Couldn't find package libgdal1-grass

so I use libgdal1-1.3.2-grass instead.  No problem, easy going until
compile-time.

  [ 25%] Building CXX object
src/core/CMakeFiles/qgis_core.dir/spatialindex/rtree/Statistics.o
  make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`/build/buildd/gdal-1.3.2/debian/tmp/usr/lib/libgdal1.3.2.so', needed
by  `src/core/libqgis_core.so'.  Stop.
  make[1]: *** [src/core/CMakeFiles/qgis_core.dir/all] Error 2
  make: *** [all] Error 2

I assume, in my limited wisdom, that i need libgdal1.3.2.so, and so I
check, and there it is.  Am I mis-interpreting things?

  $ locate -r 'libgdal.*.so$'
  /usr/lib/libgdal1.3.2.so

Thanks so much for the BuildingFromSource instructions - very clean
and easy-to-follow.

best,
christian gunning
university of new mexico
--
Far better an approximate answer to the right question, which is often
vague, than the exact answer to the wrong question, which can always