[Qgis-developer] Qgis application name

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Aug 6 10:25:40 EDT 2008

Talk about cleaning up the menus for 1.0 got me to thinking about the
application name.  At least for OSX and Windows, if not Linux, 'qgis'
seems strange.  All lowercase, that is.

Everything on the website and in the docs says either 'QGIS', or it's
full name 'Quantum GIS'.  So, for the 1.0 release, I suggest
'QGIS' (all caps).

What about the version in the name?  Currently it's using a *nix
style, full version, no spaces between the name and the version.  Also
strange-looking on OSX and Windows.  At least put a space (OK on OSX)
or hyphen between name and version (and leave out the .revision).
Leaving off the version would be best - if someone wants multiple
versions side-by-side they can safely rename the application on OSX (I
don't know how easy that is on Windows or Linux).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy