[Qgis-developer] geos c api note

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 07:35:44 EDT 2008

hi all,

while still on holidays, i've read briefly some topics recently
discussed on qgis-dev.

i'd like to say that in my opinion it would cause pain to switch to
geos c api now before 1.0 release. there are more reasons:
- we shouldn't force users to use some very new version of geos
- may bring new bugs
- this is my biggest concern - we'd like to do many changes in
geometry handling after 1.0 release and geos c api doesn't have
support of many features that we will need so that might result in
going back to geos c++ api. take a look at the rfc:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/GeometryHandlingRfc

i prefer to stay with geos c++ api for 1.0, then post-1.0 implement
the changes with c++ api and then optionally switch to geos c api in
cooperation with geos folks.

if replying please make sure to cc me, i'm not watching qgis-dev list
these days.
also the reply time from me can vary - up to several days

regards
martin