[Qgis-developer] Better Menus for QGIS 1.0

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 02:05:44 EDT 2008

Tom Elwertowski wrote:
> Since there has been some positive and no negative reactions to the
> proposed menu reorganization, I am going to commit it in a few days.

As you probably noticed by now, the menus have been updated.

Some additional work remains:

For Mac only, the main menu bar still needs to be made visible for all
windows so that the new (Mac) Window menu can be used for switching
between windows.

The Plugin menu code needs updating. The list of plugins should be a
floating block which could start at any position and also allow
additional unrelated items below. Right now, unrelated items can't
easily be added either above or below the list. (I tried adding a bottom
separator for the Python console and it sorted itself to the top next to
the first separator!)

The new action, menu and toolbar accessors need to be tested with some
plugins to see if the API is sufficient to actually add menu items to
arbitrary locations. I will test the WFS and GRASS plugins as mentioned
  previously in the thread.

Finally, should the toolbars be modified to match the menus or changed
in some other way? I'm not planning to do anything but I will rearrange
them if someone make a proposal.

Tom