[Qgis-developer] Official Plugin candidates

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Dec 31 16:03:06 EST 2008

2008/12/31 Borys Jurgiel <borys at wolf.most.org.pl>:

> - their authors are still 'alive'

 just about! (*cough cough*)

> The next 4 aren't GPL licensed, but I would see them in the offcicial Repo if their
> Authors agreed to release them on a free license:

> - Click Fu (by Barry)
> - Raster Algebra (by Barry, not completely rewritten yet!)
> - Select Plus (by Barry)

 I will stick a LICENSE file in the plugin's folders real soon, making
them GPL. Actually on the Google code page it states they are GPL, but
GPL requires a copy of the LICENSE in there, so I'll get onto that.

Some comments though:

 * Click Fu is happily pretty complete. Maybe it needs some
documentation. Otherwise it's good to go.

 * Raster Algebra will soon be overtaken by RasterLang. It's a simple
prefix-notation language (a bit like LISP) for raster manipulation. So
you can do stuff like (/ dem1 1000) to scale a DEM, or (+ (band img1
1) (band img1 2)) to add two bands from a raster image. It is
intentionally quite simple, and doesn't let you do more than one
expression at a time - if you want to do something more complex then
the recommendation is to do it at the python prompt. This plugin just
gives you a simple way to do simple expressions. I'd like to rewrite
the parser to make the language more like python but kept this way
it's been quite easy to deal with (but requires the pyparsing module).
Currently the parser works, it can evaluate expressions, I just need
to hook it into Qgis properly for reading and writing rasters. It
should be quite easy to extend with new operators.

 * SelectPlus has a big problem in that I wasn't aware that some
layers (GRASS) didn't allow random-access selections, and you have to
loop through features and select sequentially. Graargh. Plus it has
problems with projections when circles aren't circles and straight
lines aren't straight lines. These things can be fixed but I'd see a
lot of people going "I can't select my grass layer points with a
polygon" until it's fixed.

 Plugin code is all heaped here:

http://code.google.com/p/bsrplugins/source/browse/#svn/trunk

 if anyone wants to submit patches or want write-access...

Barry