[Qgis-developer] Re: composer redesign branch

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Feb 13 06:04:50 EST 2008

Hi

2008/2/13, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com>:
> On Feb 13, 2008 4:00 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > My aplogies for writing general notes instead of adressing specific
> > points....its late....
> >
> > Maybe its time to resurrect the rfc process we started on, get it
> > properly planned and then do it. It would be nice to start by having a
> > plain english (with simple diagrams) description of what is planned.
>
> I completely agree with RFC process and will respect it. The problem I
> see with RFCs is that they get nearly no feedback. Geometry handling
> RFC which I've created several months ago got comments only from
> Marco, voting has been postponed and then forgotten :-/ I'm wondering
> what's the reason - is it written unclear? Or is that just lack of
> time of others?

Yes this is a similar problem to many other areas of the project (e.g.
so far we got only me writing unit tests for new features going into
core even though it was agreed that any new code going into core would
be accompanied by tests, e.g. so far the idea of committing code with
no warnings didnt take etc). However lets not give up yet - sometimes
it takes a while for new ways of working to 'settle in'...

> 8<------snip
>
> Actually I was thinking more of a roadmap for near, middle and distant
> future so that we know where we're heading to. Of course any dates
> can't be assured but it's still interesting to put some estimations at
> least. I'm more interested what should happen before releasing 1.0 and
> after releasing 1.0...

Ok I will draw up something for discussion at our next meeting.

Tim Sutton
openModeller Desktop Developer
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com