[Qgis-developer] plugins

Borys Jurgiel borys at wolf.most.org.pl
Mon Jul 7 11:31:39 EDT 2008

Monday 07 of July 2008 16:00:50 Tim Sutton napisał(a):
> Hi Borys
>
> I downloaded and tested your plugin today and its working well for me
> in the basic testing I did. But since you are still working on this
> and we have issues like how to distribute python plugins with QGIS
> which have not been worked on, I think we are going to need to leave
> integrating your plugin manager for then 1.0 release since I need to
> branch for release as soon as possible now, and I would prefer your
> manager gets well tested before putting it into the release.

Hi Tim,

Me too:) In the beginning I was trying to keep the old Installer's writing
style, but after a number of suggestions I've received and threats I've met,
I've decided to completely rewrite it and drop its old construction. It's now
almost done (I'm going to finish works on the planned features today or
tomorrow), but it definitely needs a wider testing.

The main problem is that it's more vulnerable then the old one. For example,
it has to compare the installed and the available version number, but the
Authors often just forget to update the both declarations. Anyway, I've
implement a number of prevent solutions for observed (and predicted)
mistakes, anomalies, errors and troubles :) Furthermore I've replaced use of
non-Qt modules with Qt ones and cleared the code to better meet the QGIS
standards. I hope Perrygeo don't be offended.

I think the best solution is to put it to the repository shortly after the
0.11 release to have a long testing period before 1.0.

Then we can also implement a few more python bindings to improve the
Installer's capabilities and also discuss a dependencies control, a plugin
classification and rules for developers. I would like to achieve a clear and
well arranged plugin collection for QGIS 1.0... :)

> Is this ok for everyone?

and my ideas? :)

> By the way well done - the user interface is very clean and neat!

Thanks. It's also ready for switching to the list view and uniform QGISish
look, only python bindings for the qgsdetaileditemdelegate class are needed.

Regards,
B.