[Qgis-developer] Re: Release plans for QGIS 0.11.0 and on to 1.0

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Jun 4 05:07:21 EDT 2008

Hi

Let me try to ease your concerns a little:

For qgis 1.0 we will guarantee API compatibilty for the 1.x release
series. My estimate is that 1.x will be the stable version for the
next 1 to 2 years following its release, and there is the possibility
that we continue supporting 1.x even after 2.0 goes out.

For 2.0 we have a few options:
 - a completely new api with a qgis1support library to translate the
api into something compatible with qgis 1.
 - completely disregard 1.0 api and encourage plugin writers to port
their plugins to the new api, while deploying their plugins against
the 1.x stable releas until such time that thier pligins have been
ported.

I believe we need to allow the api to break compatibility with 1.x if
we are to advance qgis in any meaningful way. This approach is in
keeping with most major prjects I know about e.g. Qt, firefox etc. We
will try to keep the burden on plugin writers to a minimum but at the
same time we need to find a way to move forward with qgis while
keepiong plugin writers happy.

regards

Tim