[Qgis-developer] Re: ideas for developpers (The Plugins menu)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu May 22 23:59:34 EDT 2008

Hi Martin
Em May 21, 2008, às 4:28 PM, Martin Dobias escreveu:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>> Hi Borys
>>
>> Are you running trunk? I recently added filtering option to make it
>> easier to find stuff in the plugin manager. I have some more changes
>> planned, so before you do too much work, it may be good to
>> collaborate
>> a bit. I would like to add a 'category' combo above the plugins list,
>> and was thinking to make an update to the plugin interface to allow
>> this. I think I can do this without impacting existing C++ plugins
>> (by
>> putting a default category of 'undefined' into the plugin abstract
>> base class. However I'm unsure of the impacts this will have on the
>> pythonistas out there.
>
> Other possibility would be to use tree view that would include the
> categories instead of a combo box...

Yes I thought of that too but I think a tree will look more cluttered
and I was going for a google 'search dont sort' approach. I'm
planning to revise the projection selector and grass toolbox to
follow a similar paradigm.

> Tim: I looked at the improved plugin manager and it looks really good!
> I have just two observations:
> 1. plugins shouldn't get checked/unchecked by just selecting the item
> - only clicking the checkbox should do the change

Yes this is a side effect I'm working on getting rid of - just need
to work out how to do mouse tracking in my custom list item delegate.

> 2. the selection background is maybe too colorful :-)

The colour comes from your desktop settings for window background.
I'm going to commit a change to make the gradient less drastic...see
if its any better for you then....

> It should be quite easy to add support of categories for python
> plugins. As you could see recently on mailing list, there are some
> plans on the way to improve reporting metadata information for python
> plugins (e.g. dependencies) so support for categories can be added
> too.

I saw the messages but when the talk got too pythony (is that a
word?)  I started  getting cross eyed :-P I think whatever changes
you guys plan we should

a) really think about if this is needed pre 1.0
b) try to keep the complexity as low as possible

Regards

Tim