[Qgis-developer] Re: epsg 31254

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon May 26 03:30:22 EDT 2008

Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> It seems that epsg 31254 is not included in the srs.db. Could you add it to
> the database?
>
> Thanks,
> Marco
>
> http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/31254/

Hi marco,
I will add it to srs.db, and sent you the db for check in later this day.

Note that there is an ongoing thread about some 'proj/gdal/srs.db'
problems in qgis:
eg:
http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1035#comment:5

quote:
"The k-factor bug is just a symptom I think, with the real cause being
that QGIS is both out-of-sync with itself (srs.db and other internal
code??) and expecting exact string matches. Both of which are rather
brittle. see GRASS's libgis for code for removing trailing 0s from a
numeric string."

I think Hamis gives a good summary there:
"summary: srs.db is broken as compared to proj's epsg text file.
automate the generation of it ASAP or continue to feel the pain.
eventually QGIS will need a datum picking GUI to resolve the ambigous
cases. If doing exact string matching, make sure your sources are in sync."

See also this gdal bug:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2036
and our dev thread:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2008-May/003751.html

Who is able to pick this up? I think we should contact the gdal-people,
but we will need somebody with some very good knowledge about the qgis
projection internals...

Regards,
Richard Duivenvoorde