[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS and ECW and MrSid formats

Marco Pasetti marcopstt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 02:39:59 EST 2008

Hi Martin,

> In MrSID and ECW licenses they let
> developers to distribute software with MrSID/ECW libraries in binary
> form, so I don't see any legal problem here.

Well, good to hear. The binary redistribution is in fact the key for me.
That because in MS-Windows we can't build applications with some
dependencies/libraries enabled and then redistribute the application
binaries without those libraries bundled (that is consider them as optional
features, to be separately downloaded and installed by users): if built with
that libraries enabled, the application binaries will never work if some DLL
(the optional features) is missing.

If these are the facts, in my future development list I'll defitely add
MrSID and ECW support compiling.
Just a question: do we need those supports also in GDAL necessarily?

Regards,

Marco