[Qgis-developer] Version number in plugin path?

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 07:11:45 EST 2008

Borys,
> Hi list,
>
> I see our discussion has died. But one thing is absolutely essential -
> introducing the qgisMinVersion() method (or apiVersion(), however I believe
> the former is just much clearer).

I think you're right. Regardless of how all this is implemented,
qgisMinVersion and qgisMaxVersion will be useful methods. I'll add these
to my plugins.
One question though: What about in situations like we have now, where we
have QGIS version 1.0.0_preview1 and preview2? Since the QGIS version is
1.0.0, will your comparison method be able to handle these added
'preview' designations?
> QgsPythonUtilsImpl::loadPlugin should reject the incompatible plugins. Martin
> what do you think? Would you like to implement it? I don't know if is there
> any _good_ function for version comparision? (for Python I haven't found any
> sufficient so I had to write my own).
>
> Now I'm going to implement it in Installer. Uncompatible plugins in repository
> will be masked while installed uncompatible plugins will be marked red.
>
> So if nobody object, I'm introducing the following metadata:
> qgisMinVersion
> qgisMaxVersion

Keep in mind that Tim has just done a bunch of API changes, converting
min to minimum (etc.). Perhaps it would be better to call them:

qgisMinimumVersion and qgisMaximumVersion?

Cheers,

Carson