[Qgis-developer] TileServer as layer for qgis

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:42:40 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I'm aware of Martin's OSM plans, but was not finding it in his plans in the
> short term (http://mapserver.sk/~wonder/swproj/spec.html ??)?

Our plan is to implement support for reading and writing OSM data...
But we're not going to make use of tileservers in the implementation,
so there's nothing in overlap.

> Questions:
> - what would be the best way to implement this:
> 1) incorporating Kai's QMapControl
> 2) writing it as a Python plugin
> 3) writing it as a c++ layer/plugin

That's a tough question. I think that QMapControl does some of the
functionality of our map canvas, so incorporating it as a whole seems
to me like some duplication (but I haven't seen the code). So it looks
more like we could get just some inspiration from it.

So probably the right way would be to improve raster classes (or wms
provider) to support tile servers. But I'm not an expert in raster
stuff, maybe Tim or Peter will have better ideas.

> - is there already some notion in Qgis for 'fixed scales', needed for this
> kind of layers (I think...).

AFAIK there isn't.

Martin