[Qgis-developer] Proposal: Lift feature freeze for labelling

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu Oct 2 17:45:08 EDT 2008

Hi all

If you cast your mind back to our feature plans for QGIS 1.0, one
sorely needed improvement is a better labelling engine. During the
FOSS4G conference, I came across just such a project [1] where they
have implemented just such a labelling engine in C++. This api also
has a JNI interface and has been used in sextant / gvSIG via an
extension (see [2]). Martin I know you had plans to do some work in
this area - have you started anything yet?

Since 1.0 will promise a stable API, and we have a golden opportunity
here to incorporate proper labelling before we finalise the 1.0 API, I
would like to propose that we revoke the feature freeze termporarily
in order to allow us to incorporate the work of the PAL library.
Marco and I will look at the feasibility of incorporating the PAL
library into QGIS, and what kind of effect it would have on the API
during the FOSS4G code sprint on saturday.

What do others think?

Regards

[1] http://geosysin.iict.ch/pal-trac
[2] http://geosysin.iict.ch/trac/wiki/Index4extJPAL