[Qgis-developer] Buid on 64-bit Ubuntu system

mccue at acm.caltech.edu mccue at acm.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 21 13:54:24 EDT 2008

Alex:

  Noted with interest your comments on running on 64bit Ubuntu system.  Have
you built on this system?  I have a run-time library mismatch with a build
(but not with an installation from the repository), and if you have built, I'd
like to see your cmake files (see what I've done below--I posted this on the
forum several days ago, but there were no responses--the repository seems to
be at 1.0.0 Kore now).

                                          Ken McCue

>Seems like it shouldn't be too hard. Have you talked with the people who have
made the i386 packages
>http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/linux/CentOS_5x/qgis-0.11.0/
>Their direct contacts are on that page too.

>When the qgis site comes back up (down for some hardware
>troubleshooting) check the build instructions, any instructions for Red Hat
or Fedora should get you most of the way.

>I assure you it works on 64bit, I'm running Ubuntu though so I can't make you
a package.

>Alex

I have this problem on a new Ubuntu Hardy 8.041 system.  qgis from the
repository  works (it is 0.11.0-Mettis) but the checkout verision does not.  I
downloaded it, ran  cmake with no errors, it compiled,  linked and installed
with no errors.  But when I tried to run it, I got

% /woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/apps/bin/qgis
/woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/apps/bin/qgis: error while loading shared
libraries: libgeos-3.0.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

I have 2.2.3 on my system, so I put in a  symbolic link to that (ln -s
libgeos.so.2.2.3 libgeos-3.0.0.so), and got

% /woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/apps/bin/qgis
/woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/apps/bin/qgis: error while loading shared
libraries: libgdal1.5.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

another symbolic link (ln -s libgdal1.4.0.so.1.11.4 libgdal1.5.0.so.1) gave me

% /woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/apps/bin/qgis
/woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/apps/bin/qgis: symbol lookup error:
/woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/apps/lib/libqgis_core.so.1.0: undefined symbol:
_ZN14QGraphicsScene11eventFilterEP7QObjectP6QEvent

which shows linking to different versions of the library than what you
actually  compiled against is a bad idea.  Now, a previous post in the
installation forum claimed:

  Re: building unstable branch fails - Ubuntu/Mandriva x86_64
  Postby ludodo on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 am
  Hi,

  Maybe you've got a problem with the configure parameter GEOS_LIBRARY It
sounds like i had the same compilation error when i putted this as the
parameter :
  GEOS_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/
  Then, it worked well when I precised more than the path with the name of the
lib :
  GEOS_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/libgeos.so.2.2.3

but I  tried this and  it didn't get through the compilation.  What my ccmake
screen gives is the following:

GEOS_LIBRARY /usr/lib/libgeos_c.so

(this is generated  automatically  when  I configure), and  that  this library
does exist.

I  should  note that  I have a 32-bit Ubuntu Hardy machine at home and have
had no problem installing and compiling from scratch.  On this 32 bit Ubuntu
Hardy system, I have the following:

GEOS_LIBRARY /usr/lib/libgeos.so

rather  than  libgeos_c.so as  on the 64-bit system.  When I  put this library
location that works on the 32 bit system on the 64 bit system, I get the
following errors.

CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindQt4.cmake:187:
FILE Internal CMake error when trying to open file:
/woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/dev/cpp/qgis/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmpQmake/tmp.pro
for writing.
Current CMake stack:
[2]/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindQt4.cmake
[1]/woldlab/shrew/data1/mccue/dev/cpp/qgis/CMakeLists.txt