[Qgis-developer] Plugin Menu Reorganization

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 18:08:56 EDT 2008

I propose renaming the Python Plugin Installer menu item to "Fetch
Plugins..." The work it does is primarily to download plugins and an
extra activation step is still necessary to complete the installation. I
think 'Fetch' and 'Manage' are clearer than 'Install' and 'Manage.'

I propose ordering the Plugin menu as follows:

Python Console (only if python is available)
Fetch Plugins... (only if this plugin is loaded)
Manage Plugins...
-separator- (only if plugin list has at least one item)
sorted plugin list

An alternate layout which more closely matches what we have today is:

Fetch Plugins... (only if this plugin is loaded)
Manage Plugins...
-separator- (only if plugin list has at least one item)
sorted plugin list
-separator- (only if python is available)
Python Console (only if python is available)

Putting the Python Console first calls attention to it. Is it frequently
used or do most users just run plugins and not use Python?

I also propose that "Fetch Plugins..." be enabled on the first run of
QGIS so that a new user is immediately aware that remote plugins are
available and can be easily fetched.

Tom