[Qgis-developer] Help needed for importing

Marco Pasetti marcopstt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:29:09 EDT 2008

Bishwarup,

>In the cmd screen i get following error
>The error i get is    "    'python' is not recognized as an internal or
>external command, operable program or batch file."

this is because the python directory has not been set in the path variable

>I tried to set the path through mycomputer->properties->advance option.

NO! I didn't say to edit that variable using mycomputer->properties->advance
option,!
I said, instead, to open a cmd session ad set the path var typing set
path=...
if you edited the path variable through the advanced options window,
overwriting the existing values instead of adding new values, you could have
lost the previous settings, and that's probably why the python commands are
now not found.

>And when i cleared all the values needed for python and quantum GIS from
>the environment variable and used the command set as suggested by you from
>cmd, then again the same error >"python is not recognised ........". and
>when i checked through mycomputer->properties->advance option, i found no
>values are set.

Thtat's normal (and right, too).
when you type set PATH=..., the settings are stored only for the currently
opened cmd session; if you close that session the new sets are not saved
that's a a safe way to edit temporary environmental variables without
"touching" the general ones stored by the system (and permanently edited by
the advanced options window)

>What should i do?

restore the values previously set in the PATH environmental variable using
the mycomputer->properties->advance option window (do not set the pythonpath
var there; if present delete it)
check that the PATH var in "mycomputer->properties->advance options"
contains the python path (the installation path, not the qgis/python path)
"exactly" (!!) follow the instructions detailed in the previous e-mail

Marco