[Qgis-developer] Plan for QGIS 1.0 preview 1

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Fri Sep 19 16:50:28 EDT 2008

The Dev Windows installer worked as advertised- no problems. I have the
official release and the dev release both installed.

Tara

Marco Pasetti wrote:
> Tim,
>
>> I would suggest not to put packages into mainstream repos, but rather
>> offer them via our download site for manual installation so that folks
>> who prefer to use the current official release dont get upgraded
>> automatically.
>
> The current "packaging procedure" I developed already provides a
> development package/installer, that does not take effects on the
> eventually installed stable version of QGIS.
> That means that the setup file installs QGIS in a separate folder,
> with separate desktop and start launch incons (marked by the "dev"
> suffix), with independent registry keys and with an independent
> uninstall procedure. The installer provides the same features of its
> "stable brother", that means that it can provide upgrade, downgrade
> and repair installations, so that, when a new dev/preview release is
> done (such as a weekly snapshot), the installer performs an upgrade
> over the previously installed development version.
> The only common resources used by both are the .qgis directory in the
> user's folder and the registry keys that manage the toolbar and window
> size parameters (I cannot separate them, because they are directly
> managed by the application).
>
> For more information read here:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/browser/trunk/qgis/ms-windows/QGIS-Installer.nsi
>

> Tara has already tested a "development" installer. She could comment
> and give her judge on that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marco

My e-mail delivery has been unreliable lately, so I am asking for
return receipts from all my email messages.
OK'ing the return receipt lets me know that my message was delivered.
Thank you.

Tara Athan
Principal, Alternatives to Invasive Species
tara_athan [AT] alt2is.com
707-485-1198
PO Box 415
Redwood Valley, CA 95470