[Qgis-developer] the main window title

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Apr 11 12:52:54 EDT 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Gary Sherman wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Borys Jurgiel wrote:
>
>> Hi List (mainly Tim),
>> I wonder whether it's a good idea to show the version number in the
>> title bar.
>> It's convenient if we run various versions, but it takes a lot of
>> place and
>> looks bad. Especially in a 'mac-style' menu, where it's also put as
>> the first
>> menu. See the screenshot: http://www.bwj.aster.net.pl/temp/qgiswindowtitle.png
>>

> I'm not seeing this on OS X for either Kore or trunk.
> Must be your window manager :)

I see what Borys means, on OSX the Qgis window titles are:

Quantum GIS - 1.1.0-Unstale-trunk

Quantum GIS - 1.0.1-Kore

The menubar does not have the version on OSX.  I agree that having the
full app name and version in the titlebar is messy.  If I want to know
the version, I'll check the About window.  Also, when a project has
been saved, thus named, the project filename gets run together with
the version in the titlebar:

Quantum GIS - 1.1.0-Unstale-trunk MyProject

I think the titlebar should have *only* the project title, and
"Untitled" for a new unsaved project.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro