[Qgis-developer] Simplify tool dialog

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Dec 15 06:19:29 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:03:48PM +0100, Martin Dobias wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM, strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I've had problems using the simplify tool due to inadeguate range
> > of the slider being used. I've seen qgis tries to compute this range
> > automatically ( QgsMapToolSimplify::calculateSliderBoudaries() ).
>
> Hi,
> the idea behind the slider was that it is more intuitive to use than
> requiring a numeric tolerance parameter (that might be complicated for
> users to figure out empirically). So we will calculate the boundaries
> of slider for each simplified shape. On the left side the shape should
> stay untouched, on the right side the shape should be reduced to
> minimal number of vertices (two for lines, three for polygons).

I understand it. Just saying that if (for any reason) the simplified interface
strikes back (as in my case) it is nice to have an *additional* manual control.
In my case the slider was simply unusable.

> I also understand that power users might want to specify the tolerance
> precisely, so adding a spin box with tolerance (connected to slider)
> makes sense. Please file an enhancement ticket for this.

Yes, a spin box is likely the one I was looking for :)
Enhancement ticket filed -> http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/2282
Thanks!

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!