[Qgis-developer] Spell Check

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 13 00:48:52 EST 2009

Alex Mandel wrote:
> As part of the Xml metadata editor plugin we plan to inlcude spell
> checking. I was wondering if such a library was included in QGIS already
> or if people had suggestions about which library to use.
>
> I'm currently looking into using the same library as OOo and Firefox
> assuming I can find some way to easily import it into python.
> I believe it's hunspell.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

So, I looked into it a little more and I think the best solution is to
use Enchant, and in this case pyEnchant which allows for multiple
spelling backends: aspell, myspell, hunspell etc.

This brings me back to something that I've been wondering about, where
has the discussion gone on making python plugins python eggs.
I bring this up because if the plugin was an egg, making sure pyEnchant
installs would be really easy since it's normally distributed via
easy_install and the cheeseshop.

Also it would take the work out of packaging since distutil already
supports it.

Any thoughts?
Alex