[Qgis-developer] plugin installer update

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Tue Mar 10 21:35:53 EDT 2009

Good Morning List,
The updated plugin installer is available for downloading.
I'll be glad to read any opinions about the new tab.

CHANGELOG:
1) The list of URLs excluded from proxy is now respected.

2) Checking for updates on startup can be performed every several days now.

3) The new optional xml tag <experimental> is now supported. The value can be
True or False. So now plugins can be either: official, contributed or
experimental. The last one is designed for concepts and sandbox tools and it's
at the author's / repo admin's discretion. See the third tab for more details.
I believe it's more reliable than a detailed tag:
experimental/unstable/testing/stable/foo/blahblah/superstable
what would be unclear and never up-to-date. Does everybody like this way? If yes
I'll ask Gary for adding it to the central contributed repository. If no, we can
discuss something more detailed.

4) Better support for the <qgis_minimum_version> and <qgis_maximum_version>
tags. Note that the <qgis_minimum_version> is required while the
<qgis_maximum_version> is optional and even not recommended. In most cases this
tag is unnecessary and confusing, so please use it only if needed. This tag is
only present in the repository xml, not in the plugin __init__.py file.

A TIP: If you have written a plugin designed for BOTH QGISes 0.x and 1.x (like
the installer itself), you need to set the both <qgis_minimum_version> and
<qgis_maximum_version> tags. Otherwise the plugin is only visible in the QGIS
line matching the <qgis_minimum_version> tag (it doesn't cross the 0.x/1.x api
barrier).

5) Some small fixes: updated url of the repository of Faunalia, better trimmed
xml tag values and user input strings etc.

Regards,
B.