[Qgis-developer] hackfest

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Mar 17 11:41:38 EDT 2009

Hi all.
For the upcoming hackfest, I would like to point out a few important issues:

- first of all, the hackfest would be a good chance to close down
invalid/non reproducible/obsolete bugs, and fix easy bugs: a shorter
queue is the key for further work

- of course, solving the issue with label placement would be a major
success for the fest

- merging the diagram branch could lead to the release of 1.1, another
breakthrough

- some simple stuff:
  * add r.external (only available on grass64, so should be included
only if compiled against it): this is very powerful, as it allows GRASS
analyses on any raster, in their original format, without any need for
conversion (and apparently no major performance drawback)
  * smaller font and less space between modules in the grass tools
modules list
  * make it possible to copy and paste the info shown in the info popup

- a few bugs that I find important to fix:
https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1079
https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1181
https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/377 and other issues about custom
projections
http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1387

- in several occasions (not always clear why, but especially with large
rasters and vectors) QGIS is now quite slow, occasionally unusable: this
could be addressed

- set up an infrastructure for python plugins:
Ideally this should:
  * allow devs with privileges to upload their plugin
  * do some consistency check (removing hidden, unnecessary files, .pyc
etc.) and pointing out missing elements (licence, minimum version, etc.)
  * generate automatically the relevant entry in plugins.xml
  * allow the maintainer to mark each plugin with the appropriate
category (sandbox, experimental, unstable, testing, stable), so users
are warned (but still allowed and encouraged to experiment).

If the hackfest will be reachable through IRC, I'm sure others
(including me) will join in and will be able to help.
All the best, and good luck.